Let’s lay them aside
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
When you are about to run in a race there are certain things that may had weight to you that may not allow you to run properly; some of this are:-
- The kind of food you eat
- The kind of shoes you wear
- The kind of pants you wear
- You hair style
- And the ornaments you put on
As Christians we are also running in a race that require that we should as light as possible. We therefore required to be mindful of the following:-
- What you eat and drink- It is not good for the Christians to just eat except it is necessary to do so. We should eat to live and not live to eat, we should drink to live and not live to drink. Philippians. 4:5 be moderate; Genesis. 2:16-17 eat only the good food the bad one will kill you
- What you wear on your body- normally we dress to cover our nakedness. The origin of dressing itself as we found it in the Bible and other stories of creation is to cover human nakedness. Leviticus 19:19 God even told the children of Israel to avoid mixing colours in their dressing; Deut. 22:11-12; 22:5
- Be careful for nothing; Philippians 4:6 those who run a race must free their minds from any other things trying to get their attention. Things that try to get our attention are the following: your admirers and critics; women, men and money, pleasure of this world-entertainment on TV and theatre
- Put your thinking right. Philippians 4:8 Take care of your thoughts. Your wrong thinking that is not controlled will destroy the relationship between you and your race to heaven. Proverb. 4:23 keep your heart with all diligence.
- Let your focus be at the finishing mark. Heb. 12:2 looking unto Jesus. When you are running begin to see what lies at the end of the race. The glory of receiving the medals and peoples applause.
- Our expectation is that at the end of our race we shall see our Lord Jesus Christ. JN. 14:1-3.